"FREEDONIA"- Forming a Government, Research and Presentation Project
INTRODUCTION: Students will be using their (currently limited due to the fact that this is only the second week or school...) knowledge of governmental and economic systems to plan the future of a fictitious country named Freedonia. This is a RESEARCH PROJECT, designed to make students familiar with the specific functions of government and how those functions are managed by different forms of government and different economic systems. Students will be expected to supplement their current knowledge with additional RESEARCH into solutions to the problems of Freedonia.
BACKGROUND: Freedonia is an imaginary colony
of Imperia. For the past ten years, there has been a widespread guerrilla
war along the western frontier.
The object of this war is to achieve independence, which is now scheduled
for January 1st. For the last six months, black leaders have been gradually
taking over most of the country's administration. This has been followed
by a flight of skilled whites.
PART ONE, Planning and Write-up: As a small group, you will be planning and designing a government for Freedonia. You will be assigned one of the seven following forms of government:
You will also be recommending an economic system that you feel would benefit your Freedonia. You will have to select from the following Market Systems (but remember, some economic systems are almost incompatible with some government systems!):
Your plan should answer the following questions. Be sure to state the reasons you decided on a particular answer to these questions. This should be in a written, paragraph format. There should be well-thought out paragraphs for each question.
1. You have been assigned a form of government. Explain how you feel YOUR government form will be beneficial to Freedonia. Give your Government form a Name. (ex.: "The People's Republic of Freedonia")
2. Decide how leaders will get their power. Who, if any, will vote? How many political parties will there be? Provide details for ONE of the political parties. Give it a name. Outline the platform (beliefs) of the party.
3. Your group will get to select the economic system that you feel will be most beneficial to Freedonia. Explain your economic system and why you have selected it. Will the government help the people and how will the government HELP the people? Explain what you feel would be the best economic areas to focus on as Freedonia develops. (Raw materials? Agriculture? Industry and Manufacturing? Service? Small business?) Why will that be best for the country?
4. Decide how law and order will be maintained. Who/what body will make the laws? What are some of the basic laws? What if people break these laws? How will you address violence with different races/religions?
5. How will the government deal with the other countries? In other words, what foreign policy should the government pursue? How will you deal with each of the neighboring countries? Trade relationships, economic embargoes (like with Cuba), threats with nuclear weapons build ups, diplomacy, etc.
6. To what domestic policies should the government give first priority? (population growth, poverty, religious freedom, etc?) HOW should the government address those problems? What kind of policies should it put in place? Why should the government give it first priority?
7. Is there a Bill of Rights for your country? If so, what would it look like?
PART ONE GRADING: Part I (Project Write-up) is worth 100 points, as follows:
PART TWO: Presentation
Each group will create a short (5-7 minute) visual presentation of YOUR Freedonia. You may choose to create a PowerPoint presentation or a Poster on butcher paper. If you have had me for Technology or Graphic Design Class, I EXPECT to see the use of Fireworks and/or Photoshop in the creation of visuals for your presentation, alternately.
Your presentation will include the following:
PART TWO GRADING: (Project Presentation) is worth 100 points, as follows:
PART THREE, Individual Essay: Each student will write a short essay, at LEAST ONE PAGE TYPED, 2-3 paragraphs minimum, that answers the following questions:
PART THREE GRADING: Your essay will be in complete sentences with proper grammar and clearly address the questions above, demonstrating knowledge of the terms being used, as well as the Governmental plan as developed by the group. (50 pts)
A NOTE REGARDING PROJECT PARTICIPATION: TOTAL PROJECT IS WORTH 250 points, which is HUGE for this class! Most of the grading will be regarding YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE SYSTEMS IN QUESTION AND HOW THEY OPERATE WITHIN YOUR PLAN.